Thursday, October 13, 2011

Culture Shock Much??

















So I was a student. A very busy student. I studied business. I used my place of residence mainly for sleeping and occasionally eating.


Then I had a baby and everything that I was used to was flipped upside down. I was home more than I was out of the home. I was finding that even with being at home all day the things that I had to do were more than I could keep up with (especially with a teething baby or a fussy baby or just a baby who I wanted to hold and love occasionally) I guess I figured that stay-at-home-moms had it super easy because all they had to do was keep the house clean, make food and play. Right?! WRONG!!

How did I think that? How did the number of things that I needed to do in the home multiply overnight.

I guess I can name a few specific factors:

1- my husband is in the hardest part of flight school, I see him about 35 minutes a day. Prayers, daily prep and meal time. He is so busy I try to make life easier for him. Meaning he has very little time to do any family errands.

2- I have health issues that give me the energy of a 50 year old. Which would be awesome if that 50 year old were one of my in-laws who are still running lots of miles a day and stay all around super busy and happy and energetic. No my friend, when the doctor said I most likely have the energy of a 50 year old, I think he meant one who was lethargic for a good portion of the day. Serious. I try to have energy, and I do well. From about 6 am till the morning nap (for the baby that is) and then until noon or one. After that I am forcing myself to do things on less energy than when I was in the first trimester of my pregnancy. And for some reason I feel like a shmuck if I take a nap. So no naps. Just pressing forward. Slowly.

3- Can you say laundry? Let it go for one day and you spend a week catching back up!

4- Hobbies. I feel like a terrible mother, wife, and all around person if I am doing my hobbies before getting my house clean. Said hobbies include things like exercise, blogging, reading. Things that may rejuvenate myself and possibly give me energy. No, not until chores are finished. Why do I do that to myself??

5- The lack of ability to say no. Or let something go undone if I know I can accomplish it. So there's this project that would be fine if left undone. No one would know the difference. Except me. So I do it. I use the little energy I have and I do this project which in turn backs up the laundry AND the dishes. Stresses me, which stresses the baby, which means naps are either short or nonexistent. Which doesn't help with the completion of the project.
My hair is falling out, WHY does that have to happen after pregnancy?? Hey you just made this gorgeous little being with perfect eyes, hair, organs so as a reward let's make your hair thinner..... Frizzy since you are now in a humid climate and thinner. Awesome.

Anyway, as I was thinking about the changes that I went through when I became a full time stay at home mom I realized that the only way to explain it would be culture shock.
How do I prepare my daughter to be successful while lessening the culture shock of staying at home. Not that I am a total homebody, I get out. I interact as much as I can. I go to every play group and Mommy meet up I can find. Yet a good majority of the day I am in the home. Why did that shock the system so much??

And in 4 months how has it changed so that I love it now? When I am out too long I am thinking about the laundry that I need to do. When was that shift? I love the fact that my baby girl needed me to hold her for her naps for every nap one day. That won't happen forever.

I am still learning. I wish I would have taken Child Development and cooking and sewing classes. But I guess I am getting the best course there is! Right here, right now is my crash course in motherhood. It comes with mistakes I can laugh at and experiences I will never forget. No class could have given me that! Not to the depth I am getting it right now. I love being a stay at home mom!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I loved this because it was very reminiscent of my own, very recent, culture shock. Why did I think I would have so much free time as a mom? Why did I think that preparing a semester's course would be easier now than it was when I was working a full-time job. Cause in theory I still had housework, and laundry, and errands, and even cooking (though that was mainly my hubbies job) to do when I worked. Shouldn't I have MORE free time now?!? . . . but, just like you, I find that I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's nice to know my experience of culture shock wasn't unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talina, I love your comments :) They sound so much like how I think!!

      Delete